Sunday, February 04, 2007

Tag the Blog

OK Tri-teacher. Game on. Please don't check my spelling.

Well, I don't consider myself much of a TAG type person when it comes to things like blogs and email. If you're reading this and want to be TAGGED, consider yourself TAGGED. If you don't want to be TAGGED, by all means carry on and read / comment as normal.

Oh, except you bbieberitz. You are so tagged. That's what you get for admitting subscribing to this blog.

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever.
2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon.
3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?
5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?

Let's get to it.

1. My first triathlon.

My first year of triathlon, I signed up for the Wisconsin Triathlon Series races. Lake Mills being the first race. I remember very little. So I'll keep it somewhat short on truth, and make up a few things to beef it out.

The wetsuit. I decided to be a big man and go frugal style, sans wetsuit. At the last minute my wonderful mother stepped in and bought me a wetsuit. She didn't want her baby freezing in the water I suppose. Anyway, thanks Mom! Because it brings me to first race memory number 1. I got in the water before the race just to get the feel. I froze. I couldn't swim. Wait no. I couldn't breathe. I was going to die. Sell my bike, I won't need it. .. .. .. Calm down. Just float in the wetsuit. It won't let you sink. You're not going to die. Now breathe. Breathe! OK, better. Now, swim like you did in the pool. See, it'll be fine. My advice for prospective triathletes, get in the water ahead of the gun going off and talk yourself through the swim.

I lived. My memory gets fuzzy after that. I recall a heat on the run I hadn't really run in before. More because I probably did my run training at night. This was not much shade, and sunny. I'm not sure it was really that hot. But it was hot to me. I walked more than once. It was hard. But I must have had a blast, because I did the next one. Oh and the food at the witriseries races is almost worth the price of the race alone.

2. My most recent triathlon

Spirit of Racine 2006. Getting out of the water in a 1/2 Iron distance race and not feeling sapped going into the bike. WoooHOOOO!!! Mission accomplished on the swim. Taking the bike medium easy and hitting about 10 minutes under my next best bike time. And NOT have 100 degree weather on the run (like in 2005) ! Keeping the smackdown alive by staying in front of Bill (barely). All in all, just having a darn good time of it.


3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?

Wow, tough one. Say the first thing that comes to you.... Running out of t2 at Elkhart Lake Triathlon with my bike helmet on.. Or the pics from that race (or a previous time I did it) which I would have labeled "the running stance".

I have a better story that was more embarrassing for someone else... Spirit of Racine (maybe the first one in 2003). I was coming out of t2 and went to hit the porta-let. Well now, if you're a female pro, and you're done with your race when I have to run into the t2 porta-let, you should lock the door. Initially I got yelled at. I quickly shut the door as I realized what was going on in my haze. As I went for a different stall I heard, "SORRY!". Apparently she realized her error. Anyway, I was not scarred for life. Hopefully neither was she.

4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?

Again we're relying on my unreliable memory. I love the quiet getting ready of the morning. Walking the beach to the start. All the nervous energy. Trying to stay calm. We're all in this alone, but together at the same time. Race morning can be so great and such a knot twist all at once. That is a thrill.

Also, a few years ago at devil's lake tri (sprint distance) I did my best to go hard on the run. It was fast as I can or bust. Toss my cookies at the finish line if I must (I didn't). And pulled off my first sub 9 minute mile in a tri 5k. That was a pretty dang big thrill. My swim had also been a serious PR. Ironically, my bike was over 20 minutes off my projected time. There were rubbing brakes, rainy weather, and serious hills to account for my error. Turns out my "projected" time was closer to the winner's bike time. Error in my judgement more than performance.

5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?

  • If I don't workout, I will be huge, jittery, and generally unhappy.
  • I've learned how much simply changing perspective can change your limits.
6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?

If this is the first time you read my blog.. My big goal for this year is to complete Ironman Wisconsin. I may yet change my mantra weekly.. Right now it's, "This is my year!"


With my homework out of the way. Time to hit the hay. 5:15 the alarm goes off. The dogs will walk. The pool will wait for me bright, crisp, and early.

2 comments:

Triteacher said...

A+ on the homework. (Sheesh, grading on a snow day!?!) I especially like "We're all in this alone, but together at the same time." Ain't it the truth!

bbieberitz said...

I wil continue the tag....you got me :)